Nursing home neglect is a growing epidemic that is also at the heart of numerous injuries and forms of abuse that occur in nursing facilities across the country. Incidences of neglect are on the rise as more people reach retirement age and facilities are being taken over by corporations that place profits above their quality of care. Our loved ones have worked hard their entire lives and deserve better than to be neglected at a facility by people who are paid to look after them. The Chicago Injury Center represents the victims of nursing home neglect and abuse across Illinois and it is our mission to improve care for all elderly people by making it known that people must come before profit.
Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
We expect that our loved ones will receive personalized care at their nursing facilities but when corporations reduce their staff to a minimum in order to reduce expenses, it is our loved ones who suffer. The inability of staff members to attend to the needs of every patient can cause or exacerbate numerous injuries or conditions. Look for any of the following signs of nursing home neglect when you visit your loved ones.
- Bedsores— which are caused when a patient remains in the same position for extended periods of time. These can be prevented simply by moving the patient every two or three hours.
- Malnutrition or dehydration. If your loved one is suffering from hunger or thirst, he or she may not be receiving meals frequently enough or assistance may not be provided if he or she has difficulty eating.
- Poor living conditions. If you notice that the room is not being cleaned regularly or there are trip and fall hazards present, it could be a sign of neglect.
- Your loved one is not receiving his or her medications.
- Health concerns go undiagnosed or untreated; causing complications that could have otherwise been avoided.
- Repeated falls.
- Problems with hygiene such as soiled linens or failure of staff to ensure that patients are able to bathe or clean themselves.
If you suspect that your loved one is the victim of nursing home neglect, contact the Chicago Injury Center today to schedule a free consultation with one of our nursing home abuse lawyers. We will gladly assess the details of your case and investigate the matter further to ensure that your loved one receives proper care and that the nursing facility is held accountable for any negligent care that has resulted in injuries or medical complications. If we determine you have a case, we will guide you through the process of litigation so that you know exactly what to expect from the process and how to proceed.
Each of our attorneys works on a contingency basis, so you can take comfort in knowing that unless we are able to secure compensation on your behalf, our services and advice will be free of charge.