Many individuals entrust their outward appearance to plastic surgeons. When the trust is broken through medical malpractice or error, the patient feels confused, angry and psychologically hurt. Many plastic surgery malpractice cases leave the patient with emotional scars and an unexpected physical appearance. Their confusion and desperation to seek solutions often require filing a lawsuit against the medical team in an effort to obtain compensation.
Plastic surgery actually involves a broad spectrum of medical procedures that include cosmetic solutions to physically enhance the body for aesthetic purposes. However, botched plastic surgeries often produce life-altering consequences when a patient suffers significant deformities on the face, arms, hands, neck, or other areas of the body. Common plastic surgery procedures involve:
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery – The surgical procedures are often an effective tool for restoring function to the hands, arms, face or other body parts when the patient suffers birth defects or injury from an accident.
- Skin Graft – Patients suffering extensive burns, injuries and wounds require a skin graft when skin tissue has been damaged beyond repair on any body part.
- Cosmetic Procedure – Many cosmetic surgeries and procedures involve fluid injections, liposuction (fat reduction), reductions or argumentation the body parts that might include breast implants or tummy tucks.
Plastic Surgery Injury
Plastic surgeons have a difficult job of performing delicate procedures. In many incidences, these procedures have specific side effects and associated risks. Even with advancements in medical devices, tools and technology, accidents and mistakes still occur. The common types of plastic surgery injuries that occur during or after a procedure include:
- Leakage – Collagen injections, breast implants and other substances positioned in the body have the potential of leaking synthetic substances into adjacent areas, causing significant injury to tissue, bones, joints and muscles.
- Mistake or Error – The operating physician, surgeon or staff rendering substandard care during the procedure can create a mistake or error that results in significant injury or death. This includes performing the procedure on the wrong body part or being negligent in observing and implementing sanitary measures leading to bacterial exposure, infection and injury.
- Reopening Incisions – When the patient has a procedure that requires body adjustments to a newly remold area they often experience significant weight gain or weight loss that contributes to the reopening of their incisions.
- Original Injury Complications – Many reconstructive plastic surgery options are uses an effective way to treat existing injuries. However, the surgery or procedure has the potential of causing other complications while the patient heals.
Any patient suffering significant discomfort or pain due to a medical mistake after a plastic surgery operation needs to seek medical care immediately. In many incidences, the patient experiencing a medical error will hire a plastic surgery malpractice attorney to handle a claim for compensation.
Filing a Plastic Surgery Malpractice Claim
Plastic surgeons owe every patient a duty of care to ensure their safety during the procedure and afterwards. When the surgeon breaches that duty, they are often held legally liable because of negligence, error or mistake. If the patient suffers significant harm, they have the legal right to file a plastic surgery malpractice claim against every party responsible for their injuries. This is because plastic surgeons performing the procedure are medical specialists trained to follow specific medical standards outlined for their field of plastic surgery.
If it can be proved that the doctor was negligent or careless in their actions, like performing an operation on the wrong body part, a skilled attorney can file a claim for compensation on behalf of the victim.
Do I Need an Attorney?
In all likelihood, you required plastic surgery as a necessary component of healing from a medical condition, injury or disease. You might have had the surgery to enhance your appearance aesthetically. However, if you have suffered further injury because of the procedures performed by the plastic surgeon, you likely need an attorney to seek counseling, advice and legal representation.
Our Attorneys specialize in plastic surgery malpractice cases. We can assist you in obtaining recovery for any losses and damages associated with your surgical injury. Our law office can file a claim for compensation to settle your claim out of court, or file a medical malpractice lawsuit and represent you by presenting your case at trial. Call our attorneys today at 312-818-4450 to schedule your no obligation, free initial consultation.