The village of Schaumburg is a suburb of Chicago in northwest Cook County, Illinois. Residents and visitors of Schaumburg have quick access to O’Hare International Airport, Midway International Airport and into the Chicago Metropolitan area along I-90. Schaumburg has a Metra station (Milwaukee District – West Line) that transports commuters from Chicago Union Station to Elgin.
Major employers in the area include Motorola Solutions, Zürich Insurance Group, Woodfield Mall, the Community Consolidated School District #94, IBM, Comcast, Verizon Wireless and others. Covering nearly 20 square miles of land mass, Schaumburg has over 75,000 residents. The community has more than its share of vehicle accidents and medical malpractice cases involving wrongful death.
Hiring Schaumburg Personal Injury Attorneys
The surviving family members typically file a wrongful death claim for compensation when their deceased loved one has been the victim of negligence or malicious action by others. Pursuing compensation for a wrongful death is an extensive process with intricate stages, making it difficult to predict the length of time and complexity of the case to bring it to a successful conclusion.
While many wrongful death claims are settled out of court to avoid presenting evidence in front of a judge and jury, others require court intervention. Cases for compensation are built on complex Illinois tort law. Because of that, it is crucial to have a personal injury attorney who can comprehend and implement applicable statutes to develop a strong winning strategy.
Skilled Schaumburg personal injury attorneys working on behalf of surviving family members often hire investigation experts to explore case law relevant to the claim, gather evidence and speak to witnesses. In detail, the attorney will use a variety of tools and tactics during the discovery phase to solidify the case. These can include:
- Request for Production – The attorney working on behalf of the client will make a request from the defendant to provide tangible evidence to inspect and copy
- Interrogatories – Every major player in a wrongful death lawsuit is required to answer written questions under oath, which will be shared with all counsel
- Depositions – Typically, every major player will be required to complete a deposition where a court reporter records every answered questions under oath.
- Request for Admission – The attorney will typically ask major players to admit or deny specific facts to minimize the lengthy process of the wrongful death claim
- Motion to Comply – Many times, the parties at fault for causing the wrongful death will fail to provide a response to a discovery request when the attorney is seeking evidence in the case. A skilled lawyer can file a motion to compel compliance or as a way to ask the presiding judge to impose a sanction against all non-responding parties
In many incidences, the case proceeds to trial because the defendant and surviving family members are unable to reach a financial agreement.
Chicago Injury Center
The Chicago Injury Center website provides valuable information on the best legal solutions for pursuing a wrongful death claim. Our Schaumburg personal injury lawyers specialize in wrongful death claims caused by the reckless, negligent or intentional actions of others.
Call to schedule a free, no obligation consultation where your attorney can evaluate the merits of your claim against all of the parties at fault for the death of your loved one. Our legal representatives can assist you and other surviving family members in obtaining financial compensation from all parties responsible for the wrongful death. Our attorneys accept cases on contingency to avoid the need for paying any upfront fees. All legal representation is paid through an out-of-court settlement or a jury amount awarded at trial.